Friday, January 21, 2011

First high school gymnastics meet against Homestead!

This past Tuesday was my first high school gymnastics meet as a head coach! I've always been the gymnast competing, so it was a completely different experience being the coach this time around. To say I was nervous would be an understatement. I didn't have an appetite for a week before the meet. One of my friends whom was also a gymnast in high school told me I'd be more nervous as a coach than when I was competing. I didn't believe her ...until now. I'm so invested in these girls and want each of them to succeed so badly, that I get so nervous for them!

Of course, being my first meet and my bad luck, things were a little rough that night. During warm-ups one of the links on the bar cables broke off and the bars almost collasped! No one was hurt, thank goodness and we eventually got them fixed, but when that happened I just wanted to run and hide. :) Then, right before floor one of my gymnasts sprained her ankle and had to scratch that event. She should be back for Tuesday's meet. Lastly, as I was going to announce scores, I realized the score table didn't get the all-around scores correct, so the Homestead coaches recalcuated that for me. LOL It was after 10pm, by the time I got home.

All in all, the girls did a great job for their first meet! We scored a 94.9! We didn't win, but it was still a great night for the team. It's been a rollercoaster of a ride so far, but I'm having a great time and I got lucky having such a great group of girls!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment